The Collective Eye - July 2021 - Aaron D. Key

 



The Collective Eye is on... 


Aaron D. Key


WHAT SHOULD THE WORLD KNOW ABOUT YOU?  

The world should know as little about me as possible. I don't want to be famous (though it would be nice if a few more people had read my books😉) I just want the world to carry on ignoring me although enjoying the books, and perhaps wondering what sort of strange person created them.


HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR BOOKS? & WHO OR WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START WRITING

I started off writing when I was 18. I was trying to create a world in which I would be happy, I think. I created 4 books at this time. Herai, Damon Ich, Stolid and Rael. These last two still waiting to be published. Then I spent the next 27 years trying to survive, earning a living and working hard in a job I was probably unsuited too. Finally this done, I was able to concentrate on finishing the books, and (as the world had changed) publishing them. This explains the weird duality in my books: the sections which appear to be written by a much younger person, as well as those parts written by a more cynical overviewer. So I am not sure I answered the question properly so how would I describe my books. An attempt to create a world in which I could be happy. And this attempt was what inspired me to start writing too.


WHAT ARE 5 OF YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS? 

This is a really tricky one which I'm sure will change every few months or so but in consideration of which I discovered some interesting facts about myself.

The first one was I really like short stories. I didn't know this, and they have always been something I have felt inadequate to tackle writing myself. Three of my choices come in this category which must mean something, and I think I should probably attempt to write some myself.

1. My first favourite book is one I have never read but one day I will read the whole collection. It is Raffles: The amateur cracksman by E.W.Hornung. I was introduced to this book by a radio 4 adaptation of about 18 of the stories. In it I see a love story, not necessarily a sexual love (and I'm sure it would upset people to even hint at such a thing) between Raffles and Bunny Manders. Their friendship is odd but real.

2. Bocaccio's Decameron. All the world is here.

3. Ingoldsby Legends by Richard Harris Barham

4. Rural Rides by Cobbett. A great exploration of pre-railway England and a fascinating description of how things have changed.

5. Wind in the Willows (not for the toady adventure bits but for the dreaming of the river and for the mysterious manifestations of nature.) 


But ask me in a month or so and the answer may be different.


IF YOU COULD BE A CLASSIC LITERARY CHARACTER FOR ONE DAY, WHO WOULD IT BE & WHY? 

I would definitely like to be Lord Emsworth with his pig and his garden. Out of P.G Wodehouse Blandings novels. I would mooch about, admire my pig and enjoy the gardens. 


I love his simplistic view on life. With the exception of harassment from his sisters he has very little grief. 



For a literary mix of fantasy, sci-fi & romance, explore & follow... 



A world without a sea


Amazon


Twitter


Twitter profile for Aaron D. Key


Eye archive

Main eye

Go home

The JLH Collective


Popular posts from this blog

tales from the freakboy zone...

The Collective Eye - September 2020