The Collective Eye - October 2021 - Doug Ward

 


The Collective Eye is on... 


Doug ward

WHAT SHOULD THE WORLD KNOW ABOUT YOU?   

I have dyslexia.  It was discovered when I was quite young, but I never let it hold me back.  Some people have said my books could use one last edit, and they are probably right, but at least I am out there doing it.  I’m writing books.  (I have a wonderful editor now, JD Reed.)  

To have a full and rich life, I believe people should do extraordinary things.  Don’t play video games, make them.  Don’t read books, write them.  

I know, I just told everyone not to read my books, but this is what I told my students.  I tried to inspire them to go outside their comfort zone and try to do something they only dare to dream of.  A few of my students wrote and published novels of their own before they graduated. 


HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR BOOKS? 

My zombie apocalypse series is not your garden variety undead tale.  I chose a scientist and a Radio Shack manager as my heroes.  They are joined by a group of comic book geeks, as well as others.  They try to put an end to the undead who plague the world.

With my other books I am trying to bring back epic fantasy of the past. The War of the Stone series is my first such attempt.  It not only is a great coming of age story about a young wizard attaining his powers, but it also incorporates many of the elements your dungeon master warned you about, specifically, a lich.

Who can put down a book that bears the title, ‘The Curse of Count Dookula’?  (I know, it’s such a silly name.)  This is a spinoff tale that takes place during the War of the Stone.  It follows a company of older adventurers as they attempt to save a small town from a vampire.  I love the Dungeons & Dragons feel of this book, along with the distinct Halloween elements. 


WHO/WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START WRITING?   

The event that started me writing was a contest that Mark Tufo set up.  I was really into reading zombie eBooks and Mark said that he would publish the best short stories that he received in an ebook.  I actually encouraged one of my students (Yes, I’m a retired teacher) and we both wrote for the contest.  A few months later, Mark emailed the two of us and explained that he didn’t get enough quality submissions, so he couldn’t do the book.  He did publish them on his website though; both my and my students work.  That’s what inspired both of us to write full length books and self-publish.  The story I wrote for the contest was, ‘Saving Jebediah; Another True Story of the Zombie Apocalypse.’ 


WHO ARE 5 OF YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTERS FROM YOUR BOOKS?  

My characters are all favorites to me.  I make sure that they all have their own story arc.  It’s hard to pick just five, but here we go.

In my Zombie Apocalypse series I’d have to say Hank.  He’s not your average hero in the apocalypse.  In fact, he’s a nerdy scientist who has never shot a gun.  

His side kick Dean is also up there.  A former Radio Shack employee, he is a tinkerer and a free spirit.

Then there is Amber.  She goes from being somewhat meek to a real powerhouse.  She also falls for one of the comic book geeks.

In my Fantasy series I’d have to say Pinch.  He’s a rogue who is silly but turns out to be a force to contend with.  He has a past which he has to contend with in the 4th book which I am now nearing completion.

Then there’s Bronwynn.  She’s a huge fighter with a magic sword.  Both intimidating and beautiful, she pulls the group together. 


IF YOU WERE A SUPERNATURAL BEING,  WHICH SUPERNATURAL BEING WOULD YOU BE & WHY? 

A zombie is out of the question, being undead and all.  I guess a wizard.  I like reading and studying.  Casting spells would be great fun.  I just don’t want to fall through the earth fighting a Balrog.  They are terribly scary.  

You can see that I am influenced by JRR Tolkien.  It was that book where I, a kid suffering from dyslexia, actually fell in love with reading.  At the end, I cried.  A fifteen-year-old, crying, because their tale ended.  I tore through most of the fantasy books on the shelves.  That’s how I became interested in reading and Dungeons & Dragons.  We started playing with the boxed set and I became obsessed.  My first character was a wizard named, Gizur.  You see, back in those days, a wizard didn’t need to roll to hit.  My dicing skills are somewhat sketchy so it was a perfect fit. 


For rambunctious literary adventures, explore & follow... 



Amazon

Twitter


Twitter profile for Doug Ward



Eye archive

Main eye

Go home


The JLH Collective


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tales from the freakboy zone...

The Collective Eye - September 2020